Scott Middle School Mission Statement
At Scott Middle School, we believe in
A safe, inclusive, quality learning environment.
Scott Middle School Core Beliefs
In August, the Scott Middle School staff began the process of establishing a set of core beliefs that will act as a cornerstone of an effective discipline plan. This process began at our staff development meetings prior to the start of the school year. In groups, staff members discussed a list of core beliefs taken from Jim Fay’s Love and Logic program. They were then given the task of coming to a consensus on 4 to 5 of the beliefs. The school’s Positive Behavior Support Committee then compiled these beliefs. The original list of 20 or so core beliefs was pared down to the 8 to 10 beliefs that received consensus from the staff. From there the 8 to 10 beliefs were taken back to the respective grade level teams for their input then brought back to the committee by each team’s representative. This information was then used to create a set of core beliefs that reflect the attitude of the Scott staff.
WE BELIEVE …
- We believe in promoting a positive learning environment through communication among staff members, students, parents, and the community at large.
- We believe, through continual professional growth, we improve classroom practices and student achievement.
- We believe students succeed in our school because of timely interventions: reteaching, retesting, tutoring, mentoring, and monitoring learning.
- We believe in a collaborative culture with a united purpose, and plan to routinely work together openly, honestly, and respectfully toward common goals.
- We believe in holding students to high expectations by using data to drive decision making which focuses on student achievement.
- We believe in acknowledging and celebrating student and staff achievements.
- We believe that by listening and showing compassion to others we will foster respect for diversity and individual differences.
- We believe accountability lies within, but is encouraged by all.