Study Zone, Homework Zone, Achievement Zone
A commitment to academic achievement and the success of our students in everyday life
In order to support students who would benefit from academic intervention, Scott Middle School has developed a multi-tiered system to support students. Multi-tiered Systems of Support-Academic will help students be successful with:
- Developing academic and life skills
- Practicing and completing meaningful work
- Building confidence
- Decreasing stress
- Increasing parent communication/engagement
Tier 1– Study Zone
After-School Study Time- Available for all students on a voluntary basis
- Monday – Friday
- 3:00 PM – 3:50 PM (Students are not required to stay until 3:50 PM)
Lincoln Southwest NHS Tutoring- Available for all students on a voluntary basis. A teacher may also assign tutoring.
- One day a week- Day TBD
- 3:15 PM – 4:00 PM (Students are not required to stay until 4:00 PM)
Tier 2– Homework Zone
Teachers assign Homework Zone as a gentle reminder that completed assignments are an expectation of Scott students.
- Monday – Thursday
- 3:15 PM – 3:45 PM (Students are required to stay until 3:45 PM)
- Parents will be notified by their child for each class they are assigned homework zone
- Students will stay after school the same day they are assigned
Tier 3- Achievement Zone
Academic interventionists assign achievement zone and will provide support to help students become independent learners as well as evaluators of their own progress.
- Monday – Thursday
- 3:15 PM – 4:00 PM (Students are required to stay until 4:00 PM)
- Parents will be contacted by the Academic Interventionist to discuss the Achievement Zone assignment
- Students will stay after school for the number of days they are assigned
- If a student skips achievement zone they may be reassigned to an additional day prior to a referral to an administrator
Tier 4- Referral to Administrator
If a student continues to struggle after Tiers 1-3, the Academic Interventionist will refer the student to an administrator for a parent meeting.
FAQ From Parents/Students about Homework Zone
Is Homework Zone a consequence?
- At Scott we believe that doing meaningful work is important.
- It is never not okay to not do your work! If a student needs help completing work, our Scott team is available after school to provide extra support.
- Homework Zone is a SUPPORT, not a punishment!
Why would my child be assigned to Homework Zone?
- Late work
- Lengthy absences
How will I be notified if my child is assigned to Homework Zone?
- A phone call will be made by your child for each class from the school phone.
What will happen if my child is late?
- Students will stay in Homework Zone even if late and will be assigned the following day as well.
What will happen if my child skips Homework Zone?
- The Homework Zone teacher will call if a child is not in attendance of Homework Zone.
- The child will be assigned Achievement Zone from 3:15 PM – 4:00 PM the following day.
What are acceptable reasons to reschedule Homework Zone?
- Band (6th grade only)
- Medical Appointments
- Communication with teachers about any prearranged activities
What are unacceptable reasons to reschedule Homework Zone?
- Clubs and activities
- Intramural sports